Riverside South Community Association Forum
July 23, 2014, 12:54:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: In order to post a message you must create an account. You do not need to reveal your identity but you must provide a valid e-mail address to the administrators to complete your registration. To register, simply click on the Register button and follow the instructions. Click here to return to the RSCA homepage.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Black bugs with white stripe on back  (Read 6028 times)
RS couple

« on: July 06, 2012, 07:05:54 PM »

This isn't quite gardening, but I couldn't think of where else to post this.

As I left my house this afternoon, there were a lot of small bugs on the front stoop just down off the steps. At first, I thought thet were really small ants, but upon closer inspection, it turned out to be something different.

They were black bugs, each with a white horizontal stripe across their back. I can't seem to find anything like them online.

Has anyone else had these, know what they are, or how to get rid of them?
BMC

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:19:05 PM »

Sounds like the banded Dermestes beetle.  Also known as the Larder or Carpet Beetle.

Apparently the larvae are excellent at cleaning up skeletons...ewww

Here's some images:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=larder+beetle&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Cpz3T8LtBYSCqQHWrZGNCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQsAQ&biw=1536&bih=853
Phipps

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:27:31 AM »

If they are dermestes beetles, remove all dead plant matter and look for any potentially dead (desicated) animals around the area they are collecting. If you remove the food source then they will have no reason to be there and will return after killing them the first time.  Sprinkly some Borax Laundry Detergent around the area after cleaning it. Borax is generally affective for most insect infestations (assuming you can do you best to remove the food source).
Phipps

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »

Careful with Borax and pets. I would not suggest putting it anywhere a pet may lick or eat it.
RS couple

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »

Thanks everyone. Not sure if they're the ones I have or not. The stripes in the photos on the google page look too big. I've attached a picture of the ones in front of my house.
RS couple

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »

Also, we had a bunch of ants at the same time. So I put down one of those ant traps. Now the numbers of these bugs have gone down a lot.

No dead animals near them. But lots of dead grass/weeds, due to a lack of rain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: